October 6, 2009

Happy Sukkot


I was in Union Square this afternoon to visit my doctor after a 24-48 hour case of H1N1 hysteria. I convinced myself that I had all the symptoms (I did!), but alas, it was just some regular old terrible cold and I'm in no danger of imminently dying. As I was leaving my doctor's office and crossing towards the park, this extremely happy truck pictured above passed by and it was just interesting and homemade enough that it warranted taking a picture or two. It's not technically a graffiti truck per se, but it also kind of is so I took a picture anyway.

I've lived in New York for many years now, but for some reason I have never heard of Sukkot before. The friendly driver was definitely excited that I was taking his picture. He asked me if I was Jewish and when I said no, he told me to Google "Sukkot" to find out more about the holiday (which I did). "Sukkot is a seven day holiday, with the first day celebrated as a full festival with special prayer services and holiday meals."

Several hours later, I went out to dinner with one of my friends who lives in Israel and was visiting New York for a night and I showed her the picture and because I was curious I asked her what "Happy Sukkot" was. Of course, I mistakenly pronounced it and said, "What's 'Happy Suck It?'" It's actually pronounced like "sue cot," but obviously I didn't know that. My knowledge of religious holidays is definitely pretty lacking. She thought my mispronunciation was pretty much totally hilarious and laughed and laughed at me. I laughed too. So everyone, if you're Jewish, I hope you have a Happy Sukkot and if you're not, well then you know what to do.

No comments: