August 23, 2008

Shoe Rack

As much as I like the idea of adding bike racks in the city, these just don't do it for me. David Byrne, former lead singer of the Talking Heads, designed a bunch of these quirky racks that are temporarily installed for a few months around the city. This one is fittingly located on 5th Avenue in front of Bergdorf Goodman. The super obvious point here is the shoe department at Bergdorf's - where every "Sex and The City" watching fashionista gets their shoe fix taken care of. It's a much needed rack but I doubt it promotes more bike riding. Why? No one parks their bike on 5th Avenue. I totally agree with this post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The high heel rack is cliche. I can live with some camp but that doesn't even qualify as campy. Why are they temporary? Are they even installed properly - the cement looks like it's still settling.

Why not have Metropolis sponsor a design competition for about 30 of these things to be placed around the city?