April 24, 2009

Shakespeare's Statue

William Shakespeare was born 445 years ago today (Thursday). There is a imposing statue of him in Central Park right near an area known as The Mall or the Literary Walk. It's one of my favorite areas of the park and is actually a really good place to read a book. I am sure that Shakespeare would like that. There are lots of benches in this area of the park.

The sculpture was donated by the citizens of New York, led by a committee to honor the 300th anniversary of the birth of the poet and dramatist in Stratford-upon-Avon in 1564. There wasn't much fanfare around the statue today.

Most people in the area were jogging or riding their bicycles by quickly and I am sure that those who passed by the statue today didn't even realize it was his birthday. I did notice that some thoughtful person left a small bouquet of roses at the base of statue.

You can read more about the William Shakespeare statue here.

---------------------------
On a totally unrelated note, my new neighbor, Kristen Dalton, moved in down the hall this week. I haven't met her yet, but you can see my front door in this clip. If you listen carefully, maybe you can hear Mr. Orange meowing. Her apartment is decorated much differently than mine! I don't think she finished her sandwich, but I blogged about the deli mentioned in the clip a few months ago. Those sandwiches are good.

1 comment:

James said...

It looks like this summer I'll see the Shakespeare statue in central park instead of Dallas' Shakespeare in the park .
"Each year Shakespeare Dallas brings three Shakespeare productions to the outdoor amphitheatre in Samuell-Grand Park. The event is the second-oldest Shakespeare festival in the US and annually attracts over 100,000 people."

-You should welcome Kirsten to the building with a Katz sandwich and root beer.