March 31, 2009

Sunday Photo Overload

The Association of International Photography Art Dealers (AIPAD) had their annual photography show at the Park Avenue Armory last weekend. It's the longest running international show of fine art photography.

My friend Spencer called me at around 11am on Sunday morning and asked me if I wanted to head over there and check it out. I was still in bed when he called and had to get up anyway so I'm glad he called. I was sort of sleeping late, but I wasn't sleeping until noon. Actually, I woke up really early (7:35am), but I was still so tired that I went back to bed and was just waking up when he called.

Spencer has an upcoming exhibition of his work in Mexico and wanted to look at some different framing techniques. He's shipping all his work down there (his prints are fairly large) and he wanted to figure out the best way to frame and mount his photos for this exhibition.

If you like photography, it was a really great show with so many photographs crammed into the space. I was surprised by the vast numbers of people there admiring (and buying) the work. Jeremy Irons was there too. I took a rather blurry picture of him. He's wearing glasses and boots and you can see him standing in the background of the group of people (he's the tall one) engaged in an animated conversation presumably about photography. It looked like he just came from riding horses in Central Park. I thought he was so great as Claus von Bulow in "Reversal of Fortune." He's playing the legendary photographer Alfred Stieglitz in an upcoming TV movie about Georgia O'Keeffe. If you look closely at the picture (and if you give him a mustache), he looks just like Stieglitz.

3 comments:

James said...

That sounds like a great show.It must be nice to to live in NYC so much to do. Oh well I'm too cheap to live there. Thank goodness for blogs like yours to live vicariously through. :)
I hope your movie is doing well.
I look forward to seeing it someday.

Theresa said...

That show looks SO cool! I'm jealous that Spencer gets to go to Mexico this spring! From the photo, I thought he'd already gone, lol.

Christopher said...

It was a very good show. I wish that I was more in a frame of mind of appreciate it. I have been so focused on the movie lately. Also I wasn't really planning on a photography show since it was so last minute/spontaneously planned. Spencer did already go to Mexico City, but he's going back for an exhibition of his work.