March 17, 2009

Wristwatches on Canal Street

A shiny array of counterfeit watches on Canal Street. They have all the fake stuff there. A lot of it is now hidden away, especially the Louis Vuitton handbags. As long as you don't look like a cop, there are dozens (if not hundreds) of criminals from various foreign countries that will sell you anything you think you might need at a huge discount. Whatever you buy won't be real, but your friends back home will never know the difference.

I find the perfume they have for sale there especially intriguing because it looks totally real, but it's way cheaper and must be completely fake as well. It's just scented water anyway. I don't wear a lot of cologne, but I have some nice stuff from Italy that you won't find on Canal Street. I suppose if you are buying Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker or Opium from a shady looking dude in a stall on an exceptionally busy street in downtown Manhattan, you deserve what you pay for.

On a completely unrelated side note, I think something is wrong with my head. I've been getting dizzy lately and mixing things up and being a little irritable (maybe for good reason?) I should have it checked out. Maybe it's staring at all these shiny watches though. That guy was super pissed that I took a picture of his wares. Where's the NYPD when you need them?

4 comments:

Hilda said...

Uh, after that last statement of yours I kind of feel awful saying this: the Philippines has a lot of these rip-offs too. Not just designer clothes and accessories but also pirated music, videos and software. Watches and bags are even graded on quality. It's pretty hard to buy original when the minimum wage is only 350 pesos (US$7) per day.

But just to keep the record straight, I don't buy rip-offs. I don't buy designer anything either. ;)

James said...

Reminds me of a time in downtown Los Angeles.
I was about 14 and asked a "pimpy looking dude" what time it was. When he rolled up his sleeves and had about six watches on each arm I knew I was in trouble. Then he put one arm on my shoulder and the other near my face and said "it's time for you to buy a watch young brothaah!

It was a little uncomfortable at the time but made a great memory.

About ten years later a similar thing happend to me while in London. I guess I don't look like a cop. lol

CouponAlbum said...

Amazing picture!! It's a huge collection of different style of wrist watches!! Wonderful...

Unknown said...

Yes, there are a lot of watches.