September 9, 2009

Two in the Bathroom

I ran into these two hip hop fashion plates in, of all places, the bathroom at the AMC 25 movie theater on 42nd Street and just had to take their picture. It's sort of an 80's Yo! MTV Raps show/De La Soul look they're sporting which is obviously about to make a huge comeback. Notice: the homemade cassette necklace on the one and the old school beeper in the hat on the other (you can see it better if you click the picture for the larger version). Also worth mentioning is that they both, totally unprompted, spontaneously flashed some sort of gang symbols as I was taking their picture.

Remind me to invite these two to my Halloween party. Word up!

9 comments:

Building Materials Supplies said...

Great picture

Back to the 80's

Pat said...

Oh, that's a terrific shot. Am so envious!

B SQUARED said...

At least their pants are pulled up.

Christopher said...

Thanks for the comments. Mucho appreciated.

Bess said...

have you read/seen the photo book "back in the days" by jamil shabbaz (sp)? it's fan-fuckin-tastic. photos from hip hop culture "before the crack era." i think these kids saw the book.

Christopher said...

Yes, great book. Old school hip hop was cool before it was co-opted by the mainstream.

Christopher said...

Not that there's anything wrong with crack or anything, but yeah before the crack era. Sure.

Unknown said...

I don't think those are gang signs -- I think they are 'peace' signs. I get confused by this sometimes as I think when you throw it back-of-the-hand out it looks like the the British 'up yours'.

Christopher said...

I was just joking about the peace signs. These two guys hardly look like gang members!