September 14, 2008

Billy's Bakery

Located on 9th Avenue and 21st Street, Billy's Bakery has been making delicious cupcakes since 2003. Although Billy's isn't nearly as well known as The Magnolia Bakery, it's definitely a bit cooler and the lines are a lot shorter. Magnolia has been around since the mid-1990s and along with its "Sex and the City" connection is responsible for starting the cupcake craze that was oddly popular some years ago.

Today the temperature in Billy's was anything but cool. It was 90 degrees inside and everyone streamed outside to sit on the pair of conveniently located bright green benches in front.

While certain other people were enjoying lunch uptown at Fred's, I had a small red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting and a large iced tea. $5.00.

6 comments:

Wayne said...

When this cupcake trend started I gave it 6 months.

I'm not a good prognosticator.

• Eliane • said...

I just don't understand cupcakes.

Christopher said...

what's to understand? you buy a bunch and enjoy their deliciousness!!!

• Eliane • said...

I don't understand what's delicious about them. I am trying though.

Anonymous said...

I would trade the red velvet cupcake and an iced tea for lunch at Fred's any day of the week.

Christopher said...

i wasn't invited to fred's. :( so i had an even better time at billy's.