September 23, 2008

David Blaine in Central Park - 2AM

One of my favorite things about living in New York is that there is always something going on. Even at 2AM.

It's typically not a very smart idea to walk thorough Central Park in the middle of the night (knife-wielding muggers, raccoons, fire-breathing dragons, etc.), but after seeing this on CNN and reading about it in the news, I set off early this morning to go to Central Park and witness David Blaine's latest endurance challenge. It also helps if you live within walking distance from the park. I've been to most of his other stunts in the city and I wanted to go see this one for myself. These performances are really amazing to witness in person and this one was no exception. It's even better if you get a chance to talk to him. The woman in the bright yellow coat was a English reporter doing a live interview for a morning show in the U.K.

The complicated rigging is set up in the middle of Donald Trump's Wollman Rink which is near the south end of the park. You'll see from my pictures that there is a harness set up so that he can rest his head which means he is not always as totally upside down as you might imagine, but close enough.

There was a small crowd assembled around David and he seemed like he was in a pretty good mood, smiling and answering questions. There were only about 20 or so people there so I walked up and asked him if his legs fell asleep and he said "Continuously." I also asked him if he planned to go to sleep and he replied, "I don't know how."

This is one of my favorite fake David Blaine videos.

6 comments:

b.c. said...

haha funny comment before mine...i mean funny url...

anyway, wow, david blaine, he's just so...strange really and whenever he says he's going to do something i always wonder whatever for will he why he..wha...huh...etc...

Scott Baio is Flipping You the Bird said...

in any and all media not just throughout the world, but throughout the universe. i love it.
i can't wait for the amount of lawsuits that emerge when we start living on the moon.
"It also helps if you live within walking distance from the park."
ah, sigh. i'll get there someday.

Christopher said...

i wonder if david blaine will be on the moon before the rest of us?

Anonymous said...

You are so right... these things that happen late at night are the best things about NYC. Waking up to see the Dalai Lama before sunrise was one of my favorite NYC events.

Wayne said...

I appreciate 'close up' magic but I'm not a DB fan. But I got lots of chuckles from the YouTube video. I am a fan of clever parody.

• Eliane • said...

Wow. Must have been a fun thing to watch at 2am. that being said, better you than I. I was sound asleep on the other side of the park.